Sunday, February 15, 2009

Cohesion


I found this image and I would like to mention the proper credits, but I don’t know who’s the author. There’s a problem in the interpretation of water depth, but it’s amazing just the same.

I’ll take the opportunity while things are in their early stages (this is the best time to have a more global vision of the project), and I will dedicated this post to the cohesion between the films.

This project includes 11 films about whales and the men that hunted them. It will be very easy to end up with a very loosely connected set of films.

It’s one of those things... If that happens, no one will complain, but it doesn’t happen, the results will be much better.

It’s also true that the majority of museums don’t think about this thoroughly. They group whatever they have to show and put it all into a logical sequence, at most.

But these are films. They can end up with very different styles, to start with, just because the themes are considerably varied. Further more, some films are historical, others are documentaries, some are children tales and others are adventures (not even mentioning that one of them isn’t even a film, it’s an interactive stereoscopic 3D application that scares the s$#t out of me).

I will also be tempted to make something completely different after finishing each film.

So, I started to think about ways of connecting all the films without changing much of the scripts. I wrote “started”, but to be honest, I juts started to thing about it.

I can’t do much about colour. The films have a realistic style and the most I can do is to “beautify” things a little.

Narration... the first temptation would be to have just one narrator for each language (and all the films must be available in 5 languages). But I think that if there are two well “coupled” masculine and feminine voices, the cohesion is not affected and it will lessen a bit of the autistic load of spending a couple of hours in a museum with a pair of headphones in your ears, hearing just one person.

The soundtrack has a huge role here, although the audience and even many directors normally underrate its importance. Music can work as a connection element between all films, but this is a subject I will focus on a separate post.

No comments:

Post a Comment